C. David Geier, Jr., MD
Dr. Geier is a fellowship-trained orthopaedic surgeon and sports medicine specialist in Charleston, South Carolina. He is board-certified in both orthopaedic surgery and orthopaedic sports medicine by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery.
After spending eight years as Director of Sports Medicine at the Medical University of South Carolina, Dr. David Geier wished to return to private practice. He formed Sports Medicine Specialists of Charleston in 2014 so that he could share his many years of experience in sports medicine with his neighbors in Mount Pleasant and the surrounding area.
An active member of the community, Dr. Geier served for many years as the head physician for the Family Circle Cup, as well as for the Charleston Battery. Considered a leading expert in injury prevention, he writes a column in The Post and Courier and is a regular contributor – via traditional and social media – to the national conversation about sports safety. He and his family live in Charleston and, not surprisingly, are all huge sports fans.
- Chief Tournament Physician for the Family Circle Cup women’s professional tennis tournament
- Head physician – Charleston Battery professional soccer team
- Physician for USA Rugby and the U.S. women’s national soccer teams during their appearances in the Charleston area
- During his sports medicine fellowship, Dr. Geier had the honor of working with the medical teams who provided care for both the St. Louis Cardinals and the St. Louis Rams
- Chairman of the Public Relations committee for the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Outreach committee for the STOP Sports Injuries campaign
- Publications committee for the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Sports Medicine Evaluation committee for the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Medical Aspects of Sports committee for the South Carolina Medical Association